Sunday, 14 May 2017

Sunday Snippets - 14th May 2017

It’s been a crazily busy week, but I’m proud to say I have now officially completed my second year of university! I still can’t quite believe it and have no idea how I’ve managed to get this far. Over the last year my health hasn’t been great and has thrown up a hell of a lot of curve balls, but with a lot of support from friends, family and the university I have managed to keep going. There have been really difficult times and times I’ve been close to giving up, but I’ve also had so much fun and developed some amazing friendships. I have a great group of girls on my course and, this year, I really feel like we’ve got a lot closer. I’m really going to miss our chats, banter and adventures over the summer! I don’t get my official marks back until mid-June, but I’m keeping my fingers crossed I won’t need to do any re-sits!

Tomorrow I’m off to The Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital at Stanmore for my three-week inpatient stay. I’m feeling pretty nervous about it at the moment, but also a bit excited to meet some new people and hopefully learn some techniques for managing my health problems. I’m planning to continue with my Sunday Snippets over the next few weeks, but instead they will be a diary of my time at Stanmore. I also have some other Stanmore posts I would like to do, as I’ve found it really helpful to read other people’s experiences of it, so keep your eyes peeled for those!

I woke up quite early for a Sunday last week and sorted out my medication for the week ahead. Both my Mum and Dad were out for most of the day, so it was just Bekkah and I at home. Freddie was a bit of a pain in the backside all morning, but it’s so hard to be cross with him when he’s so cute! I edited a few photos, then wrote and uploaded a blog post. It was a lovely sunny day, so I took the dogs out in the garden for a while. The clematis we have growing across our fence is flowering and looks beautiful. In the afternoon I spent quite a while finishing my narrative article – it was finally done! I then wrote two reflective commentaries and started putting my portfolios together. I actually had quite a productive day!

I actually managed to get up early enough on Monday morning to put some make-up on (which, let me tell you, doesn’t happen often enough!) My Mum took me over to Uni for the start of our News Week. We had a team meeting to allocate stories first. Zeena and I chose to work on a story about Mental Health Awareness Week and the pledges that are being made by various political parties. After doing some research, we drove over to Farnham Hospital to do some filming and then popped into the centre of Farnham to get a bit more footage. When we got back to Uni we spent the afternoon recording voiceovers and editing the footage together. The programme was broadcast a bit late, but it went well. My Dad picked me up and we went to the hospital to pick David up, as he’d had an operation earlier in the day. I was absolutely shattered by the time I finally got home.

I bought these peonies at the end of last week and they’re absolutely beautiful. I’ve only ever really seen pale ones, so when I found these bright pink flowers I had to get them!

My Mum drove me over to Uni again on Tuesday morning. At our team meeting I pitched the idea of covering the new Aldi alcoholic ice-lollies, as they’re proving to be incredibly popular, so I worked on it with Zeena and Tazmyn. We went over to Aldi in Alton, but they didn’t have any, so we then went over to Camberley and they did thankfully! When we got back to Uni we had to work quickly so the lollies didn’t melt. We filmed the packaging and then people trying them to see what they thought of them. I then spent the afternoon writing a script and editing the footage together. Unfortunately, when we watched the programme at the end of the day, our tutor didn’t really like our package because he said it contained too much advertising, so that upset me a bit because we’d spent all day working on it. My Dad brought me home and I dozed on the sofa feeling exhausted for a while.

Wednesday was a pretty horrible day to be honest. My Dad has been coming down with something for quite a while, but on Wednesday morning he really wasn’t very well at all, which caused him to pass out as I was getting ready for Uni. He looked so poorly and my Mum and I were really concerned that he was having a stroke or something. I helped my Mum get him lying down in bed and he seemed to look a little better, although I didn’t want to leave him. But I had to get to Uni, so my Mum took me over – I was so shaky so had one of these new Stoats cereal bars I’ve found – they are really tasty. Thankfully it was just a production day, so things were a bit quieter. I spent some time finishing my news day diary, and then Stanmore rang and wanted to go through all my allergies and medication. I still felt really rubbish but was keeping in touch with my Mum via text and she’d managed to get him seen by a doctor. They prescribed him antibiotics for a chest infection but said if he passed out again then we had to ring for an ambulance. In the afternoon I finished editing my narrative piece and chatted to the girls. My Mum picked me up and we popped in to see David and Emma on our way home. I felt absolutely drained after everything that happened, but thankfully my Dad seemed a bit better when I got home.

We were doing a radio news day on Thursday and I went into Uni with three ideas, but decided to cover a story about how the new craze for fidget spinners is stopping children with special needs being able to use them for educational purposes. I did some research and lined up some interviews. Ife and I then went to Enchanted Wood Toy Store and interviewed the staff, who were so lovely. Back at Uni, unfortunately the other interviews I’d lined up fell through. So I wrote a script and then edited all our footage together. We listened to the radio programme, which sounded really good, although I know I’m biased! We finished a bit early so I wrote my news day diary and finished editing my narrative article. My Mum picked me up, as my Dad wasn’t well enough to drive, and we popped into Waitrose on the way home. I had a really bad headache, which I often seem to get after news days.

My Dad was feeling a bit better on Friday, but not well enough to drive. So Richard drove us both over to Uni with my electric wheelchair in the back of the car so I could try it out before we broke up for summer. I worked with Emma and Amber on two packages – one about maths GCSE questions and also a revision tips guide. We started by filming some five shot sequences for both packages, and got some really nice shots. Then we went into Farnham and got some vox pops for the GCSE package, followed by interviews with Uni students about their top revision tips. I recorded a voiceover and edited the revision tips package. Then a few of us went out and helped the presenters film their links on location around the university. After watching the programme the girls and I went to the Slug and Lettuce for dinner and cocktails to celebrate finishing our second year. It was so lovely to relax, chat and have a good time with them. I was so tired when I got home and had a really sore throat though.

On Saturday I got up quite late feeling not too brilliant to be honest. I opened a bit of post and then finished making Sarah’s present. I wrapped everything up and then went across the road to celebrate Sarah’s 30th birthday. I sat with Sarah while she fed Charlie his lunch, then we all chatted in the lounge for a bit. After a while, we all headed outside to eat our BBQ lunch in the sunshine. Little Charlie sat with us in his walker, which looks like a racecar – so cute! We spent the afternoon chatting and playing with Charlie. He was so good and was full of smiles and giggles. Late afternoon we did Sarah’s birthday cake and sang happy birthday to her. I came home at about 6.30pm and had a really bad tummy ache – having digestive problems is so frustrating and soul destroying.

I opened my two subscription boxes that arrived in the post this week. First up was my Birchbox, which has a lot of brands I haven’t heard of before this month. But I’m still looking forward to trying them out, especially the one with the cute hedgehogs on the packaging! Then I opened my Pink Parcel, which I’m always so impressed with! As well as getting your sanitary products, you also get a box full of treats including food, tea and beauty products. I’m not a big fan of the nail varnish colour but am excited to try the rose water toner.

You can check out my YouTube channel here, where I have recently uploaded a few new videos (and hope to continue doing!)

I’m also trying to post on Snapchat a bit more, so if you fancy following me, my username is Jennycole44.

If you don’t already, please give me a follow on Bloglovin here - I would love to reach 800 followers and we’re so nearly there! I do have a little giveaway planned for when I get there!

What have you been up to this week? I always enjoy hearing about your news and adventures!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment