Sunday, 8 January 2017

Sunday Snippets - 8th January 2017

This week it’s been back to reality with a bit of a bump. I had to go into hospital for an operation on Friday, which has thrown my plans up in the air quite a bit. So I apologise in advance if blog content is a bit all over the place for the next few weeks (and if this post doesn’t make any sense at all!) as it’s going to take me a while to recover. I’m also meant to be back at Uni next week, and have work experience the week after, but I think I’m just going to have to play it by ear and listen to my body (which, believe me, is easier said than done when your brain wants you to do ‘normal’ person stuff but your body doesn’t quite work like that!)

I needed a good lie-in last Sunday morning after staying up so late on New Year’s Eve. My morning was pretty lazy really, just sorting out my medication for the week ahead, watching TV and organising a few photos. We had our roast at lunchtime, as Rosiie wasn’t working, and David and Emma (my brother and sister-in-law) came over, which was nice. I chatted to them for a bit after lunch and then spent some time writing and uploading a double Sunday Snippets post. I spent the rest of the afternoon curled up in front of the fire watching YouTube videos and opening some of my Christmas presents from friends. I also started planning a Happiness Project, inspired by Gretchen Rubin, which I’d like to try and do this year.

I had a pretty boring day on Monday, but managed to get some things done, which is always good. I got up quite late, so a lot of the morning had already gone – oops! I spent most of the day on the sofa with my laptop doing a piece of Uni work. I knew it was going to take me a while, as I had to collate lots of emails together before I could write my article, but it seemed to take a lot longer than I’d hoped it would. I did watch a bit of TV as well though, which probably didn’t help! I also read through my sister’s essay for college. I was hoping to open the rest of my Christmas presents from friends, but just ran out of time so planned to hopefully do them the following day. I decided to treat myself to a gingerbread treat in the afternoon – these adorable mini cupcakes are from Waitrose and the tea from Bluebird Tea Co is seriously amazing. Especially in my wintery mug from Jilly Jilly Design.

I got up earlier than I’d planned on Tuesday morning, but unfortunately had a pounding headache. I find if I wake up with a headache like that, then it lasts all day, so I didn’t expect to have a very productive day. But actually I did pretty well. I opened the rest of my Christmas presents from my lovely friends, who spoilt me rotten this year. I then spent a while filming my ‘What I got for Christmas’ video. After I’d finished filming, I tidied away a few of my presents. I then spent the rest of the afternoon editing my video and uploading it onto my YouTube channel. It’s got to be the first time I’ve ever managed to film, edit and upload a video all in the same day! I felt pretty shattered by the end of it though and still had my headache, so snuggled on the sofa with a cup of tea in my new Disney Cheshire Cat mug. These English Tea Shop Christmas teas were from my friend Emma, and I’m so excited to try them all!

On Wednesday I had a fairly quiet morning watching This Morning and doing a few odd jobs. My Dad then took me over to Frimley Park Hospital for my pre-op appointment. I saw a nurse first (who recognised me from other pre-op’s) who went through my medication list and various other checks, and then saw another lady (who also recognised me!) to have a load of blood taken. She managed to get it first time, which is unusual for my rubbish veins! I didn’t feel brilliant when I got home, so snuggled under a blanket and watched a programme I’d recorded over Christmas. I spent the rest of the afternoon doing Uni work followed by some paperwork I’d been meaning to sort out since before Christmas. I popped to Waitrose with my Mum, as I needed a couple of essentials. I’ve started feeling very low over the last week – January blues are definitely starting to sink in. In the evening I couldn’t find Freddie anywhere, so went to look for him upstairs (where he’s not meant to be) and found him sitting on the landing in front of the radiator. He refused to come when I called him, and when I went to pick him up he just rolled over and waited for me to rub his tummy. He’s always good at making me laugh.

Thursday was a fairly quiet one, which was just what I needed before my operation on Friday. I did a bit of blog related work on my computer after I was up and dressed. Then I had a reflexology session, which was lovely and relaxing and I got to use my new cat eye mask from the Velvet Ghost Primark range. I was definitely dropping off towards the end! After lunch, I took my little Christmas tree and the rest of my decorations down. Everything looks so bare and dark now. For the rest of the afternoon I watched Friends and wrote a few thank you letters. I was feeling quite nervous about my operation, so tried to keep myself distracted during the evening.

I had to be up very early on Friday so I could have some breakfast before 7am, which wasn’t much fun. I had a pretty quiet morning watching TV and doing some bits on my laptop. My Dad took me over to Frimley Park Hospital and dropped me off in the Day Surgery Unit. After a while I was taken to my bed, got into my gown and was admitted. The Urologist came round to see me, followed by the anaesthetist, who took one look at my file and said, “Right, I think we’ll have to start from the beginning with you!” I was fourth on the list, so had to wait around for a while, which meant I was able to finish my book and doze a bit. I was taken down to theatre around 4pm, feeling quite nervous, but the staff were all lovely and chatted to me to put me at ease. Next thing I remember was waking up in recovery feeling very sore and groggy, as well as feeling boiling hot. I had a temperature and it took me a long time to come round from the anaesthetic and get my observations stable. But once they’d calmed down, they took me back to the ward to recover a bit more. They’d put a catheter back in until things settled down. The lady looking after me on the ward said they’d have to bring me back in to remove it, but then the urology nurse came over and told her I was an expert with catheters and could do it myself! So I’ll keep it in until the pain dies down a bit. They weren’t sure about letting me home, as I was still very wobbly and my temperature wasn’t great, but thankfully I managed to persuade them, as I just wanted to be in my own bed. My Dad brought me home at about 9pm and my Mum helped me get into my pyjamas. I then cuddled my Dad on the sofa for a while before going to bed.

I didn’t have a great night on Friday night – pain kept waking me up and I was feeling very anxious and tearful, which always seems to happen after I’ve had an operation. I woke up very late on Saturday morning still feeling very sore, dizzy and sick. I managed to have a bit of breakfast and then my Mum helped me to get myself dressed. I then curled up on the sofa and fell asleep. My Dad woke me up at 3pm so I could try and get a Fortisip down me, as I’m really struggling to eat, more so than usual. I spent the rest of the afternoon snuggled under a blanket with Freddie watching TV.

You can check out my YouTube channel here, where I have recently uploaded a few new videos (and hope to continue doing!)

I’m also trying to post on Snapchat a bit more, so if you fancy following me, my username is Jennycole44.

If you don’t already, please give me a follow on Bloglovin here - I would love to reach 800 followers, and do have a little giveaway planned for when I get there!

What have you been up to this week? I always enjoy hearing about your news and adventures!

post signature