Sunday, 1 May 2016

Sunday Snippets - 1st May 2016

It’s been quite a tough week with a lot going on. Add that to the fact the week before was also very busy, and my body has decided it’s had enough, which is very frustrating. I’ve really pushed myself to do all these things because they’re important to me, but I think perhaps I’ve neglected listening to my body (again!) It’s certainly not easy, and despite the fact I’ve been doing this for 27 years, it doesn’t seem to get any easier! I’m always being told to pace my activities, and generally I do try as much as I can. But there are times when I just want to do what everyone else is doing, so pacing goes out of the window and I pay for it later. I guess it’s about finding a balance, and I think it’s something I will continue to work towards for the rest of my life because things will continue to change. I just keep trying to remind myself that we only get one shot at life, so sometimes I have to go against what my body is telling me and make some memories.

Last Sunday was my first quiet day of a rather hectic week, so I was really grateful to have a proper lie-in! I had a typical Sunday morning, taking things fairly slowly, watching The Simpsons and doing some blogging. After lunch, my Mum needed to pop to Pets at Home, so I decided to tag along. We had fun seeing all the cute animals and picked up some new treats for the doggies. When I got home I decided to try and get through my pile of paperwork that never seems to end! So I popped some YouTube videos on and actually managed to get quite a bit done. In the evening I did a bit of pampering, as I’m trying to make sure I do some sort of self-care every Sunday. To be honest I had absolutely no motivation to do anything because I felt rubbish, but I decided to give this Sanctuary Spa Beauty Sleep Face Mask a try. It smelt amazing and felt lovely, so I’m glad I made myself do something.

I had a super early start on Monday, which definitely wasn’t much fun! My Dad took me to the hospital for an appointment with my urology nurse. We had expected to stay most of the morning, but she took my catheter out, reminded me how to self-catheterise and because I managed to do it we decided I could go home and call her if things went wrong. So, after over a year of having a permanent catheter, I am catheter-free! I’m just hoping it will last a bit longer than it did before, but only time will tell. I fell asleep on the sofa when we got home and slept for quite a while. When I woke up I decided to get a blog post written and published, and also had to edit some photos. I chilled out for a bit in front of the TV and applied for my student finance for next year. My Mum then took my sister and I for a bridesmaid dress fitting for Richard and Lisa’s wedding. I found this cute Disneyland Paris postcard had arrived from my friend Suzie when I got home – I want to go back to Disney so much!

After Monday’s early start I was able to have a bit of a lie-in on Tuesday morning thankfully. My morning was fairly quiet, so I just took things slowly and managed to edit some photos for a blog post. I then went round to my friend Katy’s to get my eyebrows done and to have a facial. It was so relaxing – just what I needed, especially with this constant head and neck pain. I spent the rest of the afternoon working on a blog post, and managed to get more done than I’d hoped, which is always good. Post has been pretty quiet recently (probably my fault as it’s taking me longer than I’d like to reply to people) but Tuesday was a good post day with letters from three of my penpals.

I went into Uni on Wednesday, as the second years were doing a news week and our course leader said it would be good for us to go in and help out to get some experience. I wasn’t able to go in on Monday or Tuesday, but they said it was OK for me to go in for the end of the week. It was all a bit crazy, but thankfully my friend Shanae and I were put on a story that needed a lot of research and preparation, so our package didn’t have to be ready on the same day. We spent the morning sending out loads of emails to politicians, to find out their views on the EU Referendum. In the afternoon we went out into Farnham to try and get some video interviews with local independent businesses. Unfortunately, a lot of the people we spoke to were quite rude, which I always feel is unnecessary – I’m absolutely fine if people don’t want to give an interview, but don’t understand the need for rudeness. Thankfully we managed to get one really good interview at the last minute, so we were really happy with that. I was absolutely shattered by the time I got home, but this little chap was making me laugh doing silly things.

Thursday was a ridiculously stressful day. I was back at Uni first thing for another news day. I spent the morning out in Farnham with Shanae and Nina filming interviews with the public about the EU Referendum and whether people feel they know enough about it to vote. We grabbed lunch at our desks, as we had so much editing to do. Unfortunately, we had an absolute nightmare getting the footage onto the computer, so were under huge pressure to get the package finished and ready for broadcast by 4pm. I felt really poorly by the end of the day, but Shanae was an absolute babe and cheered me up by giving me this Dew the Hoola sample from Benefit that she can’t use. I spent the rest of the afternoon/evening laid out on the sofa in pain.

Friday was another busy day, as I was back at Uni for the final day of the news week. Getting up proved incredibly difficult after the stress of Thursday. After some planning, I went to Farnham Maltings with a couple of the girls to film an interview about an event that’s happening on Sunday. As we made our way back to the Uni through Gostrey Meadow, this beautiful blossom tree made me smile. We got caught in the craziest hail/snow storm, so took shelter in Starbucks and I picked up something to warm me up. I spent the afternoon editing my package ready for the final broadcast of the week.

Yesterday was a complete write-off to be perfectly honest. I didn’t wake up until quite late, managed to get myself some breakfast and change out of my pyjamas, before making it down to the sofa and crashing out. I slept all morning, and my Mum eventually woke me at about 2.30pm so I could have some lunch. I had hoped to do a few bits on my laptop during the afternoon, but I just kept falling asleep and didn’t end up getting anything done. My pain levels were through the roof and I just felt incredibly unwell. The highlight of my day was my Glamour magazine arriving. It wasn’t really unexpected after the busy few weeks I’ve had, but that doesn’t make it any easier to deal with. I’m still finding it hard not to berate myself for having a lazy day achieving absolutely nothing. But thankfully I have my parents around, who keep reminding me that I am ill and that my body needs time to rest and recover.

If you haven’t read my blog before, I just wanted to let you know that I have a second blog, which mainly focuses on my health in more depth than I talk about it here. It’s largely for friends and family to follow and keep up with what’s going on, but if it’s something you would be interested in reading as well, you are more than welcome to follow me over there. I’ve actually changed the name from Unicorns and Floral Crowns to ‘Zebra Crossing’ and you can find it by clicking here. I’m trying to keep it updated fairly regularly, so hopefully there will be something there for you to read! I’m also trying to post on Snapchat a bit more, so if you fancy following me, my username is Jennycole44.

What have you been up to this week? I always enjoy hearing about your news and adventures!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment