Sunday, 24 April 2016

Sunday Snippets - 24th April 2016

The last week has been super busy, which unfortunately means my health has been suffering more so than usual. I get really frustrated at times – I try to do something ‘normal’ and nice, but just end up unwell and in pain, which just seems to cloud the positivity of doing something happy. It can be very difficult to focus on the good times when they are outweighed by such difficult times, but I do try my best to separate the two, otherwise I would never push myself to do exciting things. Despite the fact I’ve been feeling pretty poorly, I have done some really lovely things this week and made some great memories, which is so important to me.

Last Sunday was fairly quiet, which was lovely after a busy week. I had a nice lie-in, and then had to do a bit of Hen party planning on my laptop. I spent the rest of the morning blogging and watching The Simpsons. I’m so desperate to go to Orlando and see everything in Universal Studios (and Disney of course!) My Grandma came over for lunch, so it was nice to have a chat with her. In the afternoon I decided to have some chill time, so caught up on some YouTube videos and replied to some of my Facebook messages. My brother sent me some adorable photos of the baby bunny he gave his fiancĂ©, Lisa, for her birthday. They’ve named him Benjie and I can’t wait to have a cuddle! In the evening I had a Lush bubbly bath and did a face mask, which I haven’t done for ages.

Monday was a busy but exciting day, and totally worth the health nose-dive afterwards! My Mum and I went up to London for the birthday present I had given her back in February. Our first stop was One Aldwych Hotel for a Charlie and the Chocolate Factory inspired afternoon tea. I will do a proper blog post about it soon, but it was seriously amazing, very creative and the staff were so lovely. We started with savouries and then went onto the sweet treats. Thankfully we were able to take a doggy bag home with us, as my broken digestive system couldn’t eat all of it! A couple of hours of indulgence later, we waddled out of the hotel and had a wander (wheelchair push) round Covent Garden. It wasn’t particularly wheelchair friendly unfortunately, but we looked in a few shops including Paperchase, Kikki. K, Mac Cosmetics and Charlotte Tilbury. I may have made a few cheeky purchases, so keep your eyes peeled for a blog post/video soon! I was shattered, in pain and pretty unwell by the time we got home, but that was something I’d prepared myself for.

I felt pretty awful when I woke up on Tuesday, but unfortunately I wasn’t able to get much rest. I had to be up early for an appointment with my physio, which went OK. He wants me to be seen by the orthopaedic team again because my hips/pelvis are getting worse and the pain is becoming unbearable. So I need to get that sorted when I see my GP. I came home and rested for a bit, then a family friend came round and I had a session of reflexology, which was much needed! I’m pretty sure I fell asleep towards the end of the session! In the afternoon my Mum took my youngest sister and I for our first bridesmaid dress fitting for David and Emma’s wedding. By the time we got home my body had well and truly had enough, so I spent the rest of the afternoon and evening laid out on the sofa. An ASOS parcel arrived in the evening though and made me smile.

Wednesday was a little bit quieter, although I still had to be up early for another hospital appointment. This time I saw the psychologist from the Pain Clinic. Unfortunately they won’t offer me any individual psychological help at the moment, which my GP believes I desperately need, so I came away feeling pretty low and alone. I came home and ended up having a nap because I felt so wiped out. I managed to get some planning and preparation done for a YouTube video when I woke up though, which was good. I spent the afternoon watching YouTube videos and catching up on my blog emails. I also popped out to Waitrose with my Mum and picked up a couple of jars so I can try making some overnight oats for breakfast. On this new diet I’m meant to be trying it says I shouldn’t eat grains, but then says I can eat raw oats, so if anyone knows any yummy recipes let me know!

On Thursday I had yet another early start, as I needed to ring the doctors to try and get an appointment for that day. Thankfully I got one, so my Mum took me down there and I saw my GP. I’ve been feeling more and more rubbish since starting Pregabalin and the weight gain is also really affecting my eating disorder, so she’s advised me to gradually come off it. I’ll have to discuss an alternative with my specialist when I see him in a few weeks, but I just want to be off this. I came home, rested and watched some nesting blue tits in our garden (from inside). I met a few of my old college friends for lunch and decided to try some blood orange Sanpellegrino, which was lovely. I had a really nice catch-up with the girls and we looked at a couple of shops too. Unfortunately, since getting home, I was in quite a lot of digestive pain and felt pretty unwell, which seems to be the norm at the moment. But I’m glad I got to see the girls nonetheless. Richard and Lisa popped over in the evening before heading out to dinner, and we gave Lisa her birthday presents.

I was able to stay in bed for a little longer on Friday morning, but had to get up at a fairly reasonable for my appointment at the hairdressers. I had a colour treatment (which I really find helps to brighten up my colour!) and then a hair cut, and decided to have a little bit more taken off the ends than usual. It’s still pretty long, but I feel like it’s so much shorter! My Mum and I then popped to Tesco to get some essentials – I also managed to pick up a pretty floral skirt and a couple of flowery bras. We then had a little look round Marks and Spencer, and I picked up this lightweight dressing gown covered in pink hearts. I’ve been looking for a lighter dressing gown for ages because my old one desperately needed replacing, so I was so glad to finally find one I like! By the time we got home I was exhausted, so just spent the rest of the day resting and watching a bit of TV.

Yesterday was a really special day – my Grandma turned 90! My Mum, Dad, two sisters and I made our way to my Aunt and Uncle’s in London, where we met up with the rest of my Dad’s side of the family for a birthday celebration. We actually managed to get every single member of the family, plus other halves, there, which is pretty good going considering how many of us there are! We spent the day enjoying lovely food, mingling, chatting and taking family photos. We got this adorable cake from Waitrose, and put a couple of number sparklers on it so we could sing Happy Birthday. Before we left to come home, I asked my Grandma if I could take a photo with her to remember the special day by. She responded by saying “Ooh, shall we take a selfie?!” If I manage to reach 90 one day, I really hope I’ll be as switched on and independent as she is!

If you haven’t read my blog before, I just wanted to let you know that I have a second blog, which mainly focuses on my health in more depth than I talk about it here. It’s largely for friends and family to follow and keep up with what’s going on, but if it’s something you would be interested in reading as well, you are more than welcome to follow me over there. I’ve actually changed the name from Unicorns and Floral Crowns to ‘Zebra Crossing’ and you can find it by clicking here. I’m trying to keep it updated fairly regularly, so hopefully there will be something there for you to read! I’m also trying to post on Snapchat a bit more, so if you fancy following me, my username is Jennycole44.

What have you been up to this week? I always enjoy hearing about your news and adventures!


  1. Cute bunny and that cake looks amazing! <3 Love Gemma

    1. Thanks Gemma - I'm so excited to meet Benjie! The cake was really tasty! xx