Sunday, 7 February 2016

Sunday Snippets - 7th February 2016

This week has been kind of difficult if I’m honest. I’m just not feeling at all well at the moment, having had a cold/virus for a few weeks that I just can’t shake off. I’ve also had to stop taking my iron tablets so I can have my blood levels checked in a couple of weeks, and I’m pretty sure I’m feeling more tired again since doing that. But I’ve been plodding on as best I can. There are so many things I want to do – putting more into my blog and YouTube (I really want to give weekly vlogging a try, but need to upgrade my camera first), getting some work experience in journalism, putting more time in to Uni work, doing more with my family and friends…but my body just isn’t having any of it at the moment, which is so frustrating!

Last Sunday was a fairly chilled out day – I went to church in the morning with my Dad and sister, and met my brother and his fiancé there, which was nice. After resting for a while when I got home, I did a bit of blogging and edited my YouTube video. My little sister, Bekkah, then decided she wanted to do my make-up, so I spent a while chilling out having my make-up done. The selfie above shows the finished result, which I was pretty happy with! I wish I had the time to do my make-up properly like this every day! Unfortunately my day then went downhill. I was resting on the sofa in the evening and started feeling really unwell – overwhelmingly sick, hot and clammy but shivering, dizzy, couldn’t cope with any light or noise. It was really scary and that’s the second time I’ve had a turn like this, but my Mum helped me up to bed and thankfully I managed to get some sleep.

Monday was a bit busier, but still relatively relaxed. Thankfully I was feeling a bit better than the night before, although still not fantastic. In the morning I had my first session of bereavement counselling. The lady from the hospice came to my house, which was a massive help while I’m not able to drive. She was really lovely and we had a long chat. In the afternoon I went to the hairdressers to have my hair coloured, which was long overdue! And it was nice to have a bit of ‘me’ time to relax (although I ended up taking my laptop and doing some Uni work!) I decided to treat myself to one of these mini Tangle Teezers to put in my handbag, and then popped into the chemist next door before going home, and picked up some face powder and a lipstick.

On Tuesday I had a ridiculously busy day, with three hospital appointments at two different hospitals. I started off seeing my physio for another session of acupuncture, which I really think is making a bit of a difference. My Dad then drove me to another hospital, where I had an appointment with my CPN. After that, we headed to another department and I saw my urology nurse to have my catheter changed. My afternoon was spent resting and replying to emails. I’ve been getting quite stressed out with the amount of stuff I have to do, and it kind of gets to the point where there’s just so much that I decide to bury my head in the sand and not do any of it! The highlight of my day though, was receiving an invitation for my brother, David, and his fiancé, Emma’s, wedding in June.

Wednesday was much quieter thankfully. In the morning I went to a Pain Resource group for the first time, as I was recommend it by the hospital pain clinic. Despite the fact everyone else was probably at least twice my age, it was quite interesting and I’m hoping going every month (or when I can) will be helpful. My Dad then brought me home and I fell asleep on the sofa for a while. I spent the afternoon catching up and replying to my blogging emails, and just generally trying to relax a bit. I got another invitation in the post to open, this time for my brother, Richard, and his fiancé, Lisa’s, wedding in July! So it’s going to be an exciting summer, as I’m being a bridesmaid for both of them.

Thursday is my day at Uni – I really wasn’t feeling great, but knew I needed to be in as we’ve got a deadline coming up, so I pushed through. I spent the morning editing footage myself and my friend filmed last week. Then at lunchtime Nina, Shanae, Ife and I decided to treat ourselves to a cupcake at Maison Blanc, which is the most gorgeous little shop I have ever seen! I went for a Black Forest cupcake, which was amazing (even though my stupid digestive system didn’t agree), but found it very difficult to choose just one cake to enjoy! I’m definitely going to have to go back there to sample some more of their delicious creations! The afternoon was spent doing more work on our news packages for our news day next week, then my Dad brought me home and I crashed out on the sofa.

On Friday morning I had an appointment with my Dietician, so didn’t get a lie-in, which was a shame as I could have done with one! We talked over the diet recommended by Dr Heidi Collins and she answered some questions for me, so I really need to just dive in and give it a go now. There wasn’t much point in going home, so my Dad drove me over to Uni and we sat in the library with a coffee for a while. I met up with my Learning Mentor and we set a goal for what I need to do before I see her again next week. I had woken up not feeling brilliant, but as time went on I was feeling more and more unwell. I was really tempted to ring my Dad and ask him to come and get me, but somehow I managed to get through the afternoon lecture, although was back and forth from the bathroom quite a lot. When I finally got home I just curled up on the sofa feeling poorly. Little Freddie came and joined me, and was soon fast asleep!

Yesterday felt rather stressful if I’m honest, although all in all it was a good day. I had been invited to attend FestivalPlace shopping centre in Basingstoke for their Valentine’s campaign launch, so somehow I managed to get myself out of bed at a half decent time and my Mum and I headed over there. We were almost there when we came across a roadblock. There were no diversion signs and I couldn’t work it out on the map on my phone, so I ended up ringing my Dad and he guided us the rest of the way there! You’d think we would know another route living so close to it, but we always just go the same way, so were completely clueless! I did a bit of shopping in Primark first, then went to the launch and took photos for a blog post, which will be coming up this week. Mum and I took a photo of ourselves in front of the big heart, which I thought was rather nice. I then treated Mum to a Costa, before we (I!) did some more shopping. I was thinking of doing a haul video on my YouTube channel if it’s something you’d be interested in?

My friend Lilli was meant to be coming to mine in the afternoon, so I was conscious that we needed to get home for that. But unfortunately my phone battery died just after lunch (it’s driving me mad with how quickly it’s running down now!), so I had no way of finding out when Lilli was coming, so it was all getting rather stressful! Thankfully we made it home in time, and Lilli popped over for a quick catch-up, before I crashed out on the sofa for the evening.

If you haven’t read my blog before, I just wanted to let you know that I have a second blog, which mainly focuses on my health in more depth than I talk about it here. It’s largely for friends and family to follow and keep up with what’s going on, but if it’s something you would be interested in reading as well, you are more than welcome to follow me over there. It’s called Unicorns and Floral Crowns and you can find it by clicking here. I haven’t updated it for a while, but I hope to get into a routine soon. I’m also trying to post on Snapchat a bit more, so if you fancy following me, my username is Jennycole44.

What have you been up to this week? I always enjoy hearing about your news and adventures!

post signature


  1. So sorry to hear you've been poorly Jenny! I hope your cold starts to shift soon and you feel a little better in yourself. That photo of you and your Mum is really lovely xxx (P.S. I used to love your vlogs and your day in the life video, so I hope you try it again but be sure not to push yourself too hard! It sounds like you have an awful lot to balance already!)

    1. Thank you Katie, I'm keeping my fingers crossed! Ah thank you, I really like it too. That's really good to hear you used to enjoy my vlogs and day in the life video - more motivation for me to do them! I have another day in the life planned at some point, as part as a series I want to try and do, but really want to sort my camera out first. But it's something I enjoy doing, so as long as it doesn't start feeling like a chore I want to keep up with it :) xx