Sunday, 28 February 2016

Sunday Snippets - 28th February 2016

It’s crazy that we’re at the end of February already – I feel like a broken record writing this, but where has the time gone?! Both of my brothers are getting married this summer, and all of a sudden it really feels like the dates are creeping up on us, which is both exciting and scary! I’m busy planning one of the Hen Do’s and having fun thinking of activities we can all do together. It’s also only a few weeks until I break up from Uni for Easter, which is just crazy. We don’t have any scheduled lectures after our break, and the majority of our work has to be handed in before we break up, so I will have basically finished my first year in less than a month. How did that happen?!

Last Sunday I had a really quiet day because I wasn’t feeling particularly well. I spent the morning doing some blogging, which I always enjoy but I’m getting quite frustrated at the moment. I’ve got so many ideas of posts I would like to do (and videos I want to upload to my YouTube channel) but I just can’t find the time and energy to do them. I kind of feel like my blog has hit a bit of a wall at the moment, and I really want to make it better, so I think I’m going to have to sit down with my planner and really try and plan my time a bit better. I obviously can’t plan how my health will be, but I’m hoping if I try and plan my time a bit better then it might help. After a bit of rest, I snuggled on the sofa to write some letters and caught up with Death in Paradise. I bought these tulips for my bedroom earlier in the week, and they started to open up on Sunday. How beautiful are they!

Monday started with a trip to the Doctors for a blood test. It took them two attempts to get any blood, which is fairly good for me as my veins are an absolute nightmare! But it left the biggest bruise I think I’ve ever had! I came home and spent the morning doing some work on my Uni essay, although I think I fell asleep for a while – oops! After lunch my bereavement counsellor came to see me and we had a good chat about my Gran and how I’m doing. It’s really nice to have a space where I can talk about her, so I’m very grateful that the hospice offered my Mum and I this support. I then watched an episode of Silent Witness (such an awesome series!!) and wrote some penpal letters. Alfie was in a very cute mood, and after playing with his toys for a while he snuggled up next to this ball.

My Tuesday was mainly taken up with Uni related work. In the morning a lady came to do my last session of training for my DSA equipment, so technically I should now be a whizz on the software I’ve been given! I had planned to spend the afternoon working on my essay, but I felt so rubbish I just kept falling asleep. I managed to get a bit of planning done and watched another episode of Silent Witness. This pretty pink Leuchtturm notebook arrived in the post – I’ve decided to give bullet journaling a go, as I think it might help me to keep on top of my to-do lists. I’ll let you know how I get on, and if it works for me I’ll try and do a blog post about it. Unfortunately, my evening wasn’t great, and I ended up crying myself to sleep.

On Wednesday I had a relatively quiet day, which is always nice. I had a quiet morning, as I was feeling pretty rough after a bad night. But I decided to spend some time doing my make-up, which always makes me feel a bit better. My Dad then took me over to Uni for a course meeting (I’m a course rep), which didn’t last as long as we expected it would. So we decided to pop into the Disability Equipment shop on the way home to get some ideas about the electric wheelchairs they have available. Unfortunately I’m not eligible for one on the NHS, which means I need to work out what make and model will suit my needs. They recommended a chair that they thought would be good for me, but didn’t have it in stock so will phone me when one comes in. I’m excited to get one and gain a bit more independence, but I’m really not looking forward to having to spend well over £1000 to get one! I was going to do some Uni work when I got home, but ended up falling asleep again, and felt really rough when I woke up. So I watched yet another episode of Silent Witness and wrote some letters, but Freddie decided he wanted to sit on my knee, which made it rather interesting! I then spent the evening watching The Brit Awards.

Thursday I had Uni all day, so by the time I got home I was wiped out. I spent the morning reading magazines and scrolling through the Vogue website, as I needed to do some research on Spring/Summer 2016 fashion trends. My friend and I are doing a fashion spread for a newspaper we’re working on, and are putting together some high street looks, which is quite exciting. I went to Starbucks at lunchtime with a couple of friends, which was really nice. Then, in the afternoon, we did some more work with InDesign. When I got home I crashed out on the sofa with a cup of Bluebird Tea and some popcorn. I’m finding it very difficult to cope with my mental health problems at the moment, especially in the evenings. I’m getting quite stressed out about getting all my Uni work finished on time because I’m really struggling to concentrate while I’m feeling so unwell. It’s really frustrating, much like with my blog/YouTube – I know exactly what I want to get done, have to-do lists with dates of when everything’s due, but my body just seems to have other ideas.

Friday ended up being quite a quiet day. I had a fairly boring morning not really doing anything, and then my Dad drove me over to Uni. I met up with my mentor, which was helpful as she helped me get my head around what work I need to get done. I then headed to my lecture room, but the lecturer wasn’t there. We’d been told there would be a guest speaker, but assumed the lecturer would also be there, so we were already a bit confused. The guest speaker turned up and asked who we were, so we told him we were journalism students, to which he looked rather puzzled. He told us he wasn’t expecting us there and that he had been told he was giving a lecture to students on a different course. He said we were welcome to sit and listen if we wanted to, but that his whole lecture was based on an exhibition the other course had been to earlier in the week, so wouldn’t mean much to us. In the end I decided it would be better to use my energy working on my essay, so I headed over to the library and rang my Dad, who had to drive all the way back again to pick me up. I watched Death in Paradise when I got home, then spent a couple of hours working on my essay. I also received a bright pink parcel in the post, and had no idea what it could be. So I was excited when I opened it and found this new POREfessional product from the lovely ladies at Benefit. I’m excited to give it a try and get a post up for you all to read more about it.

Yesterday I woke up with another awful headache – they’re becoming an all too regular occurrence at the moment. However, I really needed to pop into town to do a bit of shopping for this fashion spread in the newspaper, and my Mum had very kindly offered to take me. My little sister, Bekkah, came along too, and we spent a while browsing round Primark picking out pieces to try on. I actually ended up with a bag full of bits and pieces, which will hopefully mean I can take some photos for my blog as well. Now I just need to style some outfits and take photos before Thursday, which is going to be fun as the weather looks pretty rubbish the next few days. I also popped into Boots, as I needed to get a new make-up brush. I came home feeling shattered, so snuggled on the sofa with Freddie. Bekkah came downstairs to find me, and presented me with this Real Techniques brush cleansing palette, which was so sweet of her. I’m really excited to give it a try, as I hate cleaning my brushes with my fingers! In the afternoon I watched another episode of Silent Witness (can you tell how much I love that programme!) and wrote some letters.

If you haven’t read my blog before, I just wanted to let you know that I have a second blog, which mainly focuses on my health in more depth than I talk about it here. It’s largely for friends and family to follow and keep up with what’s going on, but if it’s something you would be interested in reading as well, you are more than welcome to follow me over there. I’ve actually changed the name from Unicorns and Floral Crowns to ‘Zebra Crossing’ and you can find it by clicking here. I’ve also finally managed to update it, so there’s actually something for you to read now! And I’m hoping to keep updating it more regularly from now on. I’m also trying to post on Snapchat a bit more, so if you fancy following me, my username is Jennycole44.

What have you been up to this week? I always enjoy hearing about your news and adventures!


  1. Those tulips are gorgeous, they're one of my favourite flowers :) I'm really sorry to hear you've had some tough days this week, I find the evenings are the worst for me too and it's so hard to try and change our mindset. Sending love and positivity, and as always enjoying your weekly updates xxx

    1. They're beautiful aren't they! I love fresh flowers - they really seem to brighten the place up :) Thank you lovely, evenings are definitely when things seem to feel the hardest. I think it's because I spend all day trying to be 'normal' and fight off those feelings, and when I get to the evening I'm exhausted so it's harder to fight it. I'm sorry you find them so difficult too. I'll have to think of a post to write with some tips on coping with evenings or something! I'm really glad you enjoy my weekly updates :) Sending lots of love to you xx