Sunday, 13 December 2015

Sunday Snippets - 13th December 2015

The days seem to be going past so quickly now, which is rather worrying for me as I’m yet to start any Christmas planning. I’m usually a bit more organised than this, but this year has been difficult and I’m just trying not to put pressure on myself. I’m sure people will understand if they don’t get their presents until January! This week has been incredibly draining, and now I’m really trying hard to get myself into the Christmas spirit.

Last Sunday was a bit of a write-off unfortunately. I had planned a really productive day, but woke up feeling pretty unwell. I slept until very late in the morning, so didn’t actually have much of the day left. I managed a bit of blogging, but my plans to get on with my university work didn’t come to fruition. Instead, I fell asleep on the sofa – oops! When I woke up I found that The Polar Express was on TV, so I decided to watch it (even though I do already have it on DVD, but when it’s on TV for some reason I need to watch it, and the adverts!)

Monday was a really difficult day as our family said goodbye to my Granny. It was very sad and I cried through most of the service, but I did manage to read out a poem, which I was glad about. As well as it being a sad day, it was also an opportunity to celebrate her long and happy life, and it was lovely to hear people’s stories about her, some of which I had never heard. The top left photo in the collage is of my Gran’s hat, which she wore in the Wrens (Women’s Royal Naval Service) and was placed on top of the coffin. She fought as part of the war effort and, incredibly, was one of the few officers who typed up the D-Day landing orders. I feel so proud of all the amazing and kind things she did in her life, and it was really special to spend time as a family after the funeral, toasting to my Gran’s memory. Now that the funeral has happened, I think we now start to grieve properly for the beautiful lady we lost, who will be in our hearts forever.

On Tuesday my Mum took my sister, Bekkah, and I into town for a little bit of shopping. It wasn’t a big shopping trip, but there were a few bits that we all wanted to get. I was particularly on the lookout for some Christmas pyjamas, which I managed to find in Primark, and a Secret Santa present, which I found in Boots. Bekkah was desperate to get a fluffy Olaf hoody, but we looked round the whole store and couldn’t find anything. We had admitted defeat, but when I went to try on a couple of jumpers, Bekkah spotted a white fluffy hoody on the rails in the changing rooms. It was the Olaf hoody, in her size! The member of staff said that, because their store was only small, they hadn’t had any in, but someone had brought it back from another store. Needless to say, my sister was very happy! When we got home I managed to finish my portfolio for Uni, which was a massive relief. I’m really struggling with pain at the moment, as I’m having to reduce my Tramadol, and it’s not much fun.

Wednesday was quite a tiring day, but I did get a few bits done. I had hoped to get some of my Uni essay written in the morning, but ended up falling asleep on the sofa again. I had an appointment with my mental health care coordinator and we had a long chat, which I really needed. She’s not here next week, but she’s just told me to focus on getting through one day at a time. In the afternoon I managed to get my essay finished and submitted, which was a massive weight off my shoulders. Everything is now submitted that needs to be in, so I plan on having a bit of a rest! I got this lovely Radley mug in my advent calendar, which I think I posted a photo of at the beginning of December. If you haven’t seen it, basically I made myself an advent calendar and my Mum fills it with surprises. Most of them are little chocolates/sweets, but the odd one is something more special, like this mug. Obviously this didn’t fit in the actual calendar – my Mum leaves a little note for me instead!

On Thursday I had to get up at 5.30am – I can’t even remember the last time I saw that time of the morning! My Dad and I had to get up to London, as I had a hospital appointment at The Royal London, Whitechapel, at 9.40am. We made our way to Waterloo, and then got a taxi across the Whitechapel. Unfortunately the traffic was awful, so what should have been a 15-20 minute journey took us almost an hour. I saw my Professor, who specialises in Neurogastroenterology, especially in patients with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome. I updated him on how things have been over the last few months and he was concerned that my gastro symptoms haven’t got any better in the year or so I’ve been seeing him (which is apparently quite normal for the patients he sees). He wants me to try a radical new diet, which is based on research by a doctor called Heidi Collins. It’s quite complicated and I’m gradually going through the paper she wrote, trying to work out what I can actually eat! So far I’ve worked out I need to cut out sugar, gluten, grains, red meat, processed fats, most carbohydrates and a variety of fruits and vegetables. I’m quite concerned about my eating disorder in all this, so I’m hoping to talk to my GP when I next see her. I’m also seeing a Dietician at my doctor’s surgery, so I’m hoping she might be able to help me come up with a meal plan. I decided to treat myself to these macarons, as I usually try and get a treat when I have difficult hospital appointments,

Friday was much quieter thankfully, which gave me a chance to catch up on sleep and rest. In the morning I spent ages on the phone to the bank because some money had been taken out of my account. I managed to do some blogging, but then the Christmas planning I had planned for the afternoon didn’t really happen. I did manage to book tickets though for my siblings and I to go and see the Festival of Lights at Longleat. I also opened this belated birthday present from my friend Sophie, which was so thoughtful and I’m really looking forward to reading it.

Saturday was a really lovely day, which I spent with my friend Sarah. Every year for the last seven years I have gone to stay with her and her husband in West Sussex. But this year I just wasn’t well enough, so Sarah brought our Christmas weekend to me instead. We started by making sock snowmen whilst we listened to Michael BublĂ© and chatted. After a bit of lunch (hot soup and crusty bread if you’re wondering) we made some glittery Santas and then watched Nativity, followed by part of Nativity 2, in front of the wood-burning stove. It was so lovely to spend time with Sarah and just have some time to do fun things, without any pressure of deadlines.

If you haven’t read my blog before, I just wanted to let you know that I have a second blog, which mainly focuses on my health in more depth than I talk about it here. It’s largely for friends and family to follow and keep up with what’s going on, but if it’s something you would be interested in reading as well, you are more than welcome to follow me over there. It’s called Unicorns and Floral Crowns and you can find it by clicking here. I haven’t updated it for a while, but I hope to get into a routine soon. I’m also trying to post on Snapchat a bit more, so if you fancy following me, my username is Jennycole44.

What have you been up to this week? I always enjoy hearing about your news and adventures!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment